Garden Court North Chambers seeks to recruit new tenants in two ways. First, from time to time we hold advertised recruitment rounds to which anyone who meets the advertised criteria is welcome to apply. Second, outside of any advertised recruitment rounds, Chambers welcomes applications for tenancy from candidates who meet the criteria of our Exceptional Candidate Policy.
Details of our current vacancies and our Exceptional Candidate Policy can be found below:
- Criminal Defence & Appeals Team
Garden Court North Chambers Criminal Team is the only dedicated criminal defence team working from Chambers based in the North.
Owing to an ever-increasing workload covering cases at all levels we are looking for practitioners to join our busy team who share our ethos and dedication to advancing ‘Peoples’ Rights Through Justice’.
Junior members of our highly respected Crime Team undertake the full range of defence work and are also frequently instructed in ground breaking work, including defending anti-fracking and XR protestors. Members across all levels defend in the most high profile cases in the North. The team also specialises in appellate work, including miscarriages of justice, Case Stated and judicial review, and applications to Strasbourg.
Members of the Crime Team also undertake a significant amount of challenging work in other complementary areas, including international, prison and public law. Opportunities exist for new members to develop in these areas.
We welcome applicants from all levels of call.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter or for a confidential discussion, please contact our Head of Practice Management, Annmarie Nightingale.
- Family Law Team
Garden Court North Chambers is seeking experienced (3+ years) family barristers sharing our ethos and dedication to advancing ‘Peoples’ Rights Through Justice’ to join our expanding Family law team. Chambers is ranked by The Legal 500 2022 as a Top Tier Set and in which our ‘long standing commitment to matters concerning civil liberties and human rights’ and ‘excellent level of care and attention to our clients’ is acknowledged.
We are recruiting due to an increase in both legal aid and private work levels, particularly in children law but also in divorce and finance. With work opportunities across the Northern, North Eastern and Midlands Circuit, those joining us will find a highly collaborative and flexible environment where members are fully supported in developing successful practices by our committed Practice Management Team who are described by The Legal 500 as ‘fantastic, personable and highly responsive’.
Garden Court North Chambers has a particular strength in cross-disciplinary work and we have an established Court of Protection team as well as specialists in immigration and family crossover work such as parallel tribunal/family court proceedings, expert advice in care proceedings and age assessment judicial review. Other crossover areas include criminal defence and housing. We are a modern and progressive set where our approachable members are willing to share experience to further our commitment to working for those affected by poverty and discrimination.
Chambers occupies a modern, spacious premises in central Manchester, within a few minutes’ walk of the Civil Justice Centre. Blackfriars House, a Bruntwood Works pioneer building offers a collaborative working space with a library and podcast room, a high-spec auditorium and a communal lounge and independent coffee shop. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity both within chambers and in the profession more generally and we seek continuous improvement and self-reflection in that area.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter. For a confidential discussion, please contact our Head of Practice Management, Annmarie Nightingale at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0161 817 6377
- Exceptional Candidate Policy
In order to meet the Exceptional Candidate criteria, you will have to demonstrate the following:
- The ability to grasp complex issues and concepts and think on your feet;
- The ability to present clear, concise and logical arguments and express yourself confidently and articulately;
- Previous experience of and interest in one or more areas of law in which Chambers specialises;
- Knowledge of current legal issues and recent changes in the law of one or more of the areas in which Chambers specialises;
- Commitment to Chambers’ founding principles and working with and for those who are disadvantaged by poverty and discrimination; and
- That you are an established practitioner who has a good practice which would be likely to continue if you became a tenant at Chambers or that you are an outstanding applicant without a current practice (that is one who is at the start of his or her practice, or has relevant experience in a different part of this jurisdiction, another jurisdiction, or other legal discipline) and who is very likely to build a thriving practice as a tenant in these Chambers within a reasonable period of time.
If you wish to apply for tenancy under the Exceptional Candidate Procedure please email your CV and a covering letter in confidence to our Head of Practice Management, Annmarie Nightingale