Criminal defence & appeals
“An excellent criminal defence set clearly committed to its work.”
“Some of the best silks in the North West now supported by a strong team of juniors.”
Legal 500, 2021
The Crime Team specialises in criminal defence and appeals work across the spectrum through to the Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights. The Team consists of barristers with experience at all levels, from juniors to Queen’s Counsel, and is committed to ensuring that a defendant’s fundamental rights are protected throughout criminal proceedings.
This commitment to each client’s rights distinguishes Garden Court North Chambers’ barristers from the rest. The client remains the focus throughout the preparation and presentation of each case and remains fully involved in the process.
Members of the Team are always available to provide ad hoc advice to professional clients and are often consulted before as well as after charge in relation to complex strategic and legal decisions.
We have expertise across the spectrum of serious crime, including:
- Appellate work in the the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, including historic and out of time appeals against conviction and sentence, together with those referred by the Criminal Cases Review Commission);
- Murder including diminished responsibility and “single punch” manslaughter cases;
- “Baby Shaking” and offences against children, including causing/allowing death and child cruelty;
- Attempted murder and serious assaults;
- Firearms offences;
- Serious fraud;
- Drugs manufacture, importation and supply;
- Proceeds of crime proceedings and confiscation;
- Sentencing appeals, including IPP, extended sentences and MHA orders;
- Public order offences (particularly in cases arising from political protests and demonstrations); and
- Sexual offences, including historic and multi-complainant allegations.
If you would like to know more about the Crime Team please contact the Practice Management Team on 0161 817 6377 or at email@example.com.